Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a complaint?

For detailed instructions, please visit File a Complaint.

I filed a complaint a while ago. Why is it taking so long to resolve?

The town must follow a legal process, determined by civil and criminal procedures, to establish Municipal Code applicability concerning an alleged violation. The process involves providing notice to the property owner and allowing the owner to work with the town toward compliance. This can be followed by legal action that may include recording a Notice of Violation against the property owner, the filing of a citation, and possible criminal charges depending on the nature of the violation. These processes may take weeks or months to culminate. Since the goal is voluntary compliance, legal actions are a last resort once informal measures are exhausted.

Some issues that often affect resolving compliance matters

  • There may be difficulties finding or contacting the owner since there are a high number of absentee property owners and rentals in town
  • The owner may dispute the violation
  • The owner may have difficulty abating the violations due to the complexities of the case.
  • The owner may choose to pursue the judicial resolution
  • The judicial resolution is time-intensive and may result in multiple continuations

I recently received a Notice of Violation for a Code violation. Is this the same thing as getting a ticket?

No, a Notice of Violation is a written warning to the owner/resident that there is a violation of one or more town ordinances. If the violation has not been corrected after 7 to 14 days, the owner/resident may be issued a summons into Municipal Court.

Can I remain anonymous when reporting a Code Enforcement violation?

Yes. We do not require that you provide any personal information. However, having more information at hand will often assist us in conducting a more thorough investigation. Remember that all information you choose to provide is subject to Public Records laws.