Special Event Information
Special Events help make our community unique. In order to hold an event on land that the Town owns you will have to go through the Special Event process. A permit is required for any event that meets one or more of the following criteria:
- 200 or more people will attend;
- Alcohol will be served;
- One or more streets will need to be closed;
- The event will utilize amplified sound;
- Multiple vendors will be in attendance;
- Camping will be involved; or
- The event might be deemed a safety hazard by the Town Administrator.
Private events -- those events held on private property -- do not need to go through the special event process. The special event application is only for those events held on public property owned by the Town of Buena Vista.
In order to obtain your Special Event Permit, we ask that all applications be turned in no later than 30 days prior to the event so all parties can make reasonable arrangements that the event might need. Please download and fill out all applications below that will be necessary for you to hold your event:
There are some important items to note if you want to hold a Special Event:
- You will be required to have insurance and name the Town as an additionally insured party.
- Applicants are also responsible for meeting any other agency requirements. If you plan on having food served or sold at your event please fill out this form, and contact Wano Urbonas with the Chaffee County Environmental Health Department at 719-207-1498 or at email@example.com.
- For special events involving vendors, it is the responsibility of the event organizer to understand the special event vending requirements. If a vendor holds a Buena Vista Business License and can produce their license number they are not subject to the $15 Special Event fee. This fee is for vendors visiting our community. We recommend that vendors get a business license if they plan on attending more than one event in a single calendar year.
- If you wish to have alcohol at your event, you need to contact the Town Clerk at 719-581-1017.
- If you would like to use the Town right-of-way to advertise your event, you need to fill out and turn in the Special Event Sign Application (PDF).
- The Town offers fee waivers to those events that meet the requirements.
If you have any questions about your Special Event or the permitting process, please contact our Facilities and Events Manager at 719-581-1029 or send them an email.