Short Term Rentals


Welcome to the short-term rental page. Here you will find helpful information to assist you when licensing your short-term rental. If you have registered before you are still subject to these new licensing requirements.  If you have any questions along the way please do not hesitate to reach out to code enforcement.

A short-term rental is defined as a residential structure, or portion thereof, in which the entire structure or two (2) or fewer habitable spaces are made available to paying guests for thirty consecutive days or less. If you meet this definition then you are subject to the license. In order to get your license, you will need the following.

      Short-term rental application packet

      Floor plan of house

      Site plan of property

      Short-term rental affidavit

          o Will need to be notarized

          o If brought into Town Hall, staff will notarize for free

      Town of Buena Vista business license - $30 (annual)

      Colorado State Sales Tax License

      Proof of ownership

      License fee

         o License good for the calendar year January 1st – December 31st

         o Initial year - $120

         o Subsequent years - $70

Once you have filled out and brought in your application you will need to sign up for an inspection with Code Enforcement and the Fire Department. These inspections will take place on Friday mornings from 8am – 12pm and be available in thirty (30) minute increments. These will be on a first-come first-served basis. It is the responsibility of the applicant to sign up and be available for your time slot. If for any reason Town staff cannot make it, they will contact you to reschedule. You will not be issued a license until you have passed the inspection. In the short-term rental application packet are the requirements for fire, as well as the housing standards and specifications.

Now that you have your license you need to pay attention to your short-term rental housing standards and specifications. Your license as well as the other items listed need to be made available to your guest. This can be accomplished simply by putting this paperwork in a binder, or you can hang it on your wall. When you advertise your home, you must use your short-term license number in the advertisement. Since most ads are done on the internet platform, you must put your license number in the description. The license number has been designed not to appear as a phone number.

If you are looking for renew application you can find the application here, or in the form center

Thank you for stopping by this page. We appreciate your compliance with the Buena Vista Municipal Code. As always please feel free to contact Code Enforcement.