The Town of Buena Vista Street Department oversees the maintenance of streets and sidewalks within the Town. The following services are provided:
- Crack sealing and asphalt repairs
- Marking (striping, crosswalks, handicap, parking spaces, etc.)
- Sign maintenance and upgrades
- Snowplowing and sanding (work accomplished at night)
- Street sweeping
- Pothole repair
- Right-of-way maintenance, including trees
- Gravel road maintenance (smoothing, shaping, dust control)
- Storm water drainage maintenance
- Assistance with special events
For insight into how the Town determines locations and methods of street repair, preventive maintenance, rehabilitation, and reconstruction, see the 2019-2023 Proposed Street Fund Projects (PDF). This Five (5) Years Street Maintenance Plan evaluation process was developed to identify street improvement needs and work within the Town’s limited annual tax-base sourced Street Fund.
This 50/50 cost-sharing program is for property owners within the Town of Buena Vista who want to replace the sidewalk in front of their home or business.
The program accepts applications year-round, and each year applications are reviewed in spring for summer construction. If your application is accepted, the Town will source the materials and labor for the replacement and pay for half (50%) of the total cost. The applicant will be responsible for the remaining half (50%) of the total cost.
The Town is not responsible for landscaping that is impacted by the removal of the old or the installation of new sidewalks. If a tree is impacting the area to be replaced, some root or total tree removal may be necessary; in this event, the property owner will be notified.
Call Public Works at (719) 395-6898 for more information or email your question to the Public Works Administrative Assistant.
View and download the Sidewalk Replacement Program Application (PDF).
Snow Removal Policy
The Town of Buena Vista Street Department has the following 2-4-6 Snow Removal Policy:
- If it snows two (2”) inches, East Main, West Main, Post Office, and school bus routes will be plowed.
- If it snows four (4”) inches, designated collector streets, in addition to the above, will be plowed.
- If it snows six (6”) inches or more, the remaining town streets will be plowed, and the above, will be plowed.
Business owners and homeowners within the Town are responsible for snow removal in front of and adjacent to their properties. Move the snow away and out from the drainage along the curb, and shovel the entire width of the sidewalk. Ice can build up on sidewalks and curb areas creating a hazard. Snow can also be piled around the right-of-way and street trees. For more information, see the Town’s Snow Removal Plan (PDF).
Highway 24 runs through the center of the Town of Buena Vista, north to south, connecting Chaffee County to the I-25 corridor and the Front Range. The highway is managed and maintained by the Southwestern (Region 5) Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT). CDOT is responsible for the two (2) highway stop lights in Buena Vista as well as snow and ice operations, roadway maintenance and preservation and construction management along Highway 24.